When was the last time you took inventory of your digital assets?
With Spring in the air, I want to encourage everyone to take a minute and develop a spreadsheet taking complete inventory of your accounts. The goal is to update contact information, renew accounts and cancel unused accounts. Now is time to gain control over your digital assets, your brand and your online presence.
What are digital assets?
- Domain names
- Hosting accounts
- Email accounts
- Digital Files
Why is it so important to manage your digital assets?
- Domain names are the key to accessing the website and emails. Without an address, your website and emails won’t be accessible. Domain names are often the most overlooked and one of the most important business assets. Make sure you know where your domains are registered, when they need to be renewed, and who is listed as the registrant and technical contact.
- Hosting is like leasing space on the Internet. Without a home, no one can find your website. If your host shuts down your site, your site will cease to exist on the Internet.
- Your website is your pride and palace on the Internet. Review it regularly to make sure that everything is functional and up-to-date.
- Email has become one of the most valuable tools in most of our businesses, acting as the primary mode of communication and archival system. If your business relies on email, invest a little in setting up a good back up system and having a good tech support expert on call in case you need email support. Also, note which emails are being used as the primary contact for your accounts. Lastly, make sure that you’re receiving emails from your website if you have email links or online forms.
- Back up all digital files. Don’t rely on email or your computer’s hard drive. Back up your mission critical files to the cloud or an external hard drive on a regular basis.
I’ve witnessed too many times clients who have lost their domain names, their websites, their emails and their digital files because they don’t know where their files are or how to access their accounts. Simply invest a little time this Spring to create a spreadsheet of accounts and back up your files. You can feel confident in knowing that the digital extension of your business is under control.